Location: Woolmer Green, Knebworth, Hertfordshire
Contract Value: £3.7m
Contract Period: April 2011 – April 2012
This is the design and construction of a 71 bed home with accommodation over two and a half floors on the site of an existing commercial vehicle garage/ hire site.
The site fronts on to London Road in the village of Woolmer Green. Works include associated hard and soft landscaping including car parking and appropriate boundary treatment. The building will be of energy efficient Swedish timber frame construction, clad with brick work and rendered feature panels.
The building design is sympathetic to its surrounding low lying village/green belt setting, high quality landscape will offer views out to open fields beyond. Pre construction phase works have included demolition of an existing garage building and remediation of contaminated land in conjunction with the Local Authority and the Environment Agency.
Other Key Features
- Swedish timber frame construction
- The design will achieve 10% renewable through solar technology
- The building layout will allow flexibility/mix of facilities offered
- 35 of the bedrooms will be specifically designed and allocated for dementia care
- A large inviting reception and bistro areas will encourage interaction between user groups
- Extensive landscaping will include a rear courtyard garden over looking fields beyond
- Associated works include the Section 278 relocation of highway bus stop